Eleutherococcus (Latin Eleutherococcus) is a genus of plants from the Araliaceae family.
This genus includes about 30 species of thorny shrubs and trees. However, only Eleutherococcus prickly is used in medicine, which we will talk about in the article.
Eleutherococcus prickly (Latin Eleutherococcus senticosus) is a shrub that grows to a height of 2.5 meters, with fruits collected in large black balls. It is an adaptogen.
Natural adaptogens contribute to the formation of adaptation to adverse factors, and also strengthen the body’s resistance. For example, athletes take drugs of this group to improve their physical and emotional state during training and competitions. Its medicinal properties are very close to ginseng.
Other names of Eleutherococcus prickly: prickly freeborn, wild pepper, Siberian ginseng, netronnik, dybrey, rosehip, yulish.
The plant can be found in shady broadleaf and cedar-broadleaf forests. It is found in floodplain spruce forests along river valleys, on the southern slopes of mountains. Prefers southern humid places that are well warmed by the sun.
For treatment, the rhizome and root of Eleutherococcus prickly are used. Harvesting is carried out in autumn starting from the second half of September. Only adult plants (above 1 m) should be dug out. The roots are immediately washed, cut into pieces and dried at a temperature of 70-80 ° C.
Chemical composition of the rhizomes and root of eleutherococcus
The medicinal properties of eleutherococcus are due to its rich composition. The plant contains:
- essential oils;
- coumarin derivatives;
- pectin substances;
- polysaccharides and free sugars;
- aralin alkaloid;
- glycosides called eleutherosides;
- vitamins and minerals — A, B1 and others B, C, D, E, F.
Unlike other “araliaceae”, Eleutherococcus does not contain saponins.
Medicinal properties of eleutherococcus
The use of eleutherococcus is advisable for the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- mental and physical fatigue;
- asthenia, neurasthenia;
- arterial hypotension;
- diabetes mellitus;
- eczema, neurodermatitis, psoriasis.
Also, eleutherococcus is prescribed for the prevention of viral infections and convalescents after serious illnesses.
Eleutherococcus also has the following beneficial properties:
- general strengthening and general toning;
- protects against adverse environmental factors;
- increases the nonspecific resistance of the body;
- it has a stimulating and tonic effect on the central nervous system;
- restores and improves physical and mental performance;
- improves hearing and enhances visual acuity;
- reduces the content of cholesterol and β-lipoproteins in the blood serum;
- it has a sugar-lowering effect, allows you to reduce the dose of insulin or reduce the number of injections;
- makes the body more resistant to X-rays.
Eleutherococcus — contraindications to taking and harm
The benefits and medicinal properties of eleutherococcus are numerous, but, unfortunately, there are also a number of contraindications that you need to familiarize yourself with.
The effect of taking a remedy based on eleutherococcus occurs in the first hour and lasts for several hours.
Contraindications to taking eleutherococcus:
- allergy, individual intolerance;
- increased excitability;
- high blood pressure;
- acute heart failure;
- acute infectious diseases;
- myocardial infarction;
- cerebral vascular pathology;
- exacerbations of any diseases;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- age up to 12 years.
In case of sleep disorders, it is forbidden to take eleutherococcus in the afternoon.
The use of funds that include electrocock may cause:
- allergic reactions;
- irritability, feeling of anxiety;
When taking eleutherococcus, it should be borne in mind that the drug enhances the effect of CNS stimulants and is an antagonist of drugs that inhibit the CNS (also barbiturates, anxiolytics and antiepileptic drugs).
Recipes for the use of eleutherococcus for medicinal purposes
Important! Before starting treatment with eleutherococcus, be sure to consult your doctor!
Eleutherococcus tea. pour 1 teaspoon of the plant with a glass of hot water or weak green / black tea. Let it brew for 15 minutes, strain and drink in the morning before meals, no more than 1 cup.
Decoction of eleutherococcus. Pour 20 g of crushed root with a glass of boiling water and hold it in a boiling water bath for half an hour. Bring boiled water to the initial volume (1 cup), cool, strain and take 1/3 cup 3 times a day.
Eleutherococcus tincture. Grind the dried root of eleutherococcus to a powder state, pour it into a glass container and pour vodka (proportion6 per 100 g of eleutherococcus root 0.5 liters of vodka). Close tightly and put in a dark place for 3 weeks. Filter, take 20-25 drops 2-3 times a day before meals for a month. After that, you need to take a break for 3 weeks. Externally, it can be used for wipes and lotions.
Eleutherococcus extract. Cut the roots of the plant very finely and pour vodka or 40% alcohol in a ratio of 1: 1. Insist for 3 days in a dark place, shaking every day. Children after the age of 12 are prescribed 20 drops in the morning half an hour before meals, adults 30 drops in the morning and before meals.
Eleutherococcus treatment — recipes
- Hypotension. Tincture of eleutherococcus on 40% alcohol or vodka, take 20-30 drops half an hour before meals in the morning and at lunch. The course of treatment is 20-30 days.
- Rheumatic heart disease. Take 15-20 drops of tincture 2-3 times a day in the morning. This stimulates cardiac activity.
- Physical and mental fatigue. Take 15-20 drops of tincture before meals, in the morning and at lunch.
- Prevention of acute respiratory viral infections. Take the tincture 2-3 times in the morning for 0.5 teaspoons.
- Menopause and irregular menstrual cycle. Take the tincture 15-20 drops 2-3 times in the morning.
- Gum inflammation, stomatitis. Rinse your mouth 2-3 times a day with a decoction of eleutherococcus.
- Brittle hair, seborrhea, baldness. Mix 10 g of eleutherococcus roots with 5 g of calendula flowers and pour 0.5 liters of water. Boil for 10 minutes, when it cools down, strain. Rinse your hair and scalp 2 times a week after washing.
- Skin diseases. Grind the roots of Eleutherococcus into powder and add to the usual cream. Apply externally. Also, you can wash and lubricate the affected areas with tincture.
- General weakness, memory problems. For 50 mg of powder, take 1 liter of water. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Take it as a regular tea, 1 glass in the morning, you can add honey for taste.