Passionflower is a tropical plant with unique decorative qualities and, moreover, has medicinal properties confirmed by official medicine. Drugs and drugs based on it are prescribed for nervous disorders, diseases of the cardiovascular system, hormonal failures and sleep disorders. The use of the extract is practiced in the treatment of alcohol addiction.
The alternative name of the plant is passion flower. The genus of the Passionflower family includes about 500 species. Exactly 60 of them produce fruits that can be eaten. The brightest edible representative is passion fruit.
Passionflora includes shrubs, single- and perennial plants. All of them have large flowers on pedicels with 5 bright petals and 5 sepals, equipped with a small process on the median vein. Most representatives of the genus can boast of leaves with glands that secrete a liquid that lures ants – they need them to protect them from caterpillars.
Attention! Some species of passionflora are equipped with glands in the form of outgrowths, similar to butterfly eggs. Plants have learned to form them quite recently to scare away butterflies that like to lay real eggs on them. This fact has become one of the proofs of evolution.
Composition of passionflower extract
The complex of biologically active substances that are part of the passionflower extract is presented:
- indole alkaloids – have a hypnotic and soothing effect;
- flavonoids – expand and strengthen blood vessels, improve blood flow;
- coumarins – stop inflammatory processes, stop spasms;
- quinone – neutralizes toxins, strengthens tissues and normalizes blood clotting;
- amino acids – participate in the synthesis of collagen and vitamins, improve memory;
- glycoproteins – participate in the synthesis of hormones, protect the epithelium lining the organs;
- glycosides – strengthen the heart muscle, remove excess fluid from the body.
The most valuable pharmacological properties of passionflower are soothing and sedative. It was they who caused the increased interest in the plant of official medicine. It is used to produce drugs and dietary supplements indicated for neurasthenic disorders, diseases of the nervous system, depression, sleep disorders, epilepsy. They help to cope with irritability, improve the quality of sleep, increase mental and physical performance, reduce sweating and calm the heartbeat.
Attention! Phytopreparations based on passion flower are useful for women after 45 years. They will help to smooth out the menopausal syndrome during menopause: they will relieve nervous excitability, relieve hot flashes, normalize blood pressure.
Passionflower extract helps to cope with chronic alcohol addiction. It reduces the severity of symptoms indicating the need for a dose of alcohol, and prevents neurotic disorders. It will be easier for a person to survive the period of “withdrawal”, his mood will improve, sleep will be restored.
Passionflower extract is in demand in cosmetology. It nourishes and moisturizes the skin, restores its elasticity and eliminates redness caused by insect bites.
Passionflower oil has an anti-inflammatory effect and protects the skin from ultraviolet radiation, which can provoke premature aging and the appearance of age spots. A significant advantage of the cosmetic component is the absence of greasy shine after its application.
Contraindications and side effects
When taking passionflower extract and other remedies from the plant, the dosage specified in the instructions for use should be observed. Otherwise, side effects may occur, such as drowsiness, absent-mindedness, flatulence, diarrhea, allergies.
In addition to the beneficial properties of the plant, there are certain contraindications that should be taken into account when conducting therapy:
- When taking medications from passionflower, it is recommended to give up driving a car and work that requires increased attention.
- It is unacceptable to use drugs for people suffering from atherosclerosis, low blood pressure or who have suffered a myocardial infarction.
- You can not take funds based on passionflower for angina pectoris.
- In case of individual intolerance, you should refuse to take medicinal products based on this plant, as this may cause an allergic reaction.
Areas of application and norms
Passionflower can be purchased in the form of vegetable raw materials in packages and filter bags. Teas, decoctions, infusions are prepared from it. To make tea, 1 tsp of herbs pour 300 ml of boiling water, insist for 10 minutes under the lid. The drink is drunk a few hours before bedtime. It helps to relax and fall asleep.
Passion flower extract is available in liquid form and in tablet form. It is taken for the prevention and treatment of mild manifestations of neurasthenia, dystonia, insomnia, menopause, panic attacks, depression, vascular spasms, stress, increased excitability – when there is no need for complex medical treatment. The optimal dosage of the extract is 20 drops three times a day or 1 tablet every 8 hours.